Kogod School of Business
Click Here to contact the Kogod School of Business directly.
MBA Degree Programs
Kogod offers two MBA formats: the Full-time MBA and the Professional MBA.
This 21-month, four-semester program is designed for students to complete core courses in the first year, allowing the second year to be devoted to electives. The program also includes a Global Consulting Project in which students partner with an international institution to work with a real-life client. Students may choose to pursue Kogod’s unique Consulting focus, or choose from a variety of other electives.
Kogod also offers the following dual-degree MBA programs:
• MA/MBA with American University’s School of International Service
• JD/MBA with American University's Washington College of Law
• LLM/MBA with American University's Washington College of Law
Other specialty Master of Science degrees include:
• Master of Science in Accounting
• Master of Science in Analytics
• Master of Science in Finance
• Master of Science in Marketing
• Master of Science in Taxation
• Master of Science in Sustainability Management
• Master of Science in Real Estate
The Kogod School of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
Kogod is dedicated to reflecting a diverse student body. To be considered for admission, potential students must submit the following:
• Online application
• $100 application fee (Applicants who are or have served on active duty for the US Military within the last 3 years qualify for an application fee waiver.)
• Current resume
• Personal statement
• Two letters of professional recommendation
• All university transcripts
• Valid GMAT/GRE score (may be waived if applicant has already earned a graduate-level degree within the last 10 years)
MBA applicants must already have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and must have full-time professional work experience. Internship experience is not applicable. Pending preliminary review of completed applications, candidates will be invited to interview with the Kogod Graduate Admissions Committee.
Full-time MBA: $1,526 per credit hour, plus $215 in student fees per semester
Professional MBA: One-time, all-inclusive tuition cost of $84,623* (includes books, software, an iPad, and travel expenses). * Cost is for cohort entering Fall 2015 only.
Description of Learning Environment for Students
At Kogod, it's our mission to prepare our graduates to work and lead in all sectors of business: public, private, and nonprofit.
We strive to create an interactive learning environment with a strong focus on experiential learning. Our students get hands-on experience in all facets of business through real-world projects inside and outside the classroom. Kogod's broad alumni network and location in our nation’s capital work hand-in-hand to connect our students to the business world beyond campus.
Kogod’s award-winning faculty, a combination of experienced executives-in-residence and respected academic researchers, stem from diverse, global backgrounds. They come from successful careers at Deutsche Bank, IBM, the Federal Reserve, BBDO advertising agency, and many more prominent institutions, both public and private.
The Kogod School of Business is continuously ranked by top publications such as Bloomberg Businessweek, Princeton Review and U.S. News and World Report. Other rankings include:
• No. 5: GraduatePrograms.com Top Accounting Programs (2015)
• No. 17: GraduatePrograms.com Top Marketing MBA Programs (2015)
• No. 9: TaxTalent Best MS Tax Programs (2014)
• No. 45 Environmental Sustainability Programs: Net Impact Business UNusual (2014)
While the Kogod School of Business does not have specific scholarships set aside for active military or veterans, the Admissions Committee looks favorably on military experience when assessing applicants for admission and scholarship consideration.
Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program
American University is a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon Program for military veterans and also accepts the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Please go here for more information on AU’s participation in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Credit for Military Service or Military Experience
Applicants who are or have served on active duty for the US Military within the last 3 years qualify for an application fee waiver.